Winter Recipes to Warm You Up
‘Tis the season for chilly evenings, oversized sweaters and all the comfort food we can get our hands on. Despite the promise of an early Spring, we’re still struggling to stay warm… but that’s what crock-pot recipes are so perfect for! We’re all about simple dishes done right, so popping ingredients into a crock-pot and forgetting about it all day is just our speed. Sound like you too? Then read on.
Let’s start with a lighter take on one of our favorites: Chili. We are subbing the ground beef for chicken and aren’t feeling one ounce of sorry. It gets so tender when it’s slow-cooked all day, plus every bowl is packed with plenty of beans and veggies to fill you up. And did we mention that this recipe is only three steps?
- 1 package Tres Enchilada Skillet Sauce
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 can chili beans in mild chili sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- Fresh lime and fresh cilantro to garnish
- Place all ingredients except garnish in a crock-pot, then cook on high for 3-5 hours.
- Shred chicken, then place back in crock-pot, cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Garnish with lime and cilantro to serve.
Pro tip: Psst, did you know that if you can’t find our skillet sauces at your local grocery, you can order them on Amazon!?
Okay, fair warning: This next recipe is four steps, but we know you’re a crock-pot master by now. This one totally turns nachos upside down and sideways, reinventing them into a soup that’s smooth, creamy and satisfying.
Our favorite part is obviously the mini pupusa garnish, because they’re just so over-the-top delicious. Garnishes are always optional in our book, but it really won’t be the same without those little pockets of corn-based deliciousness. So the choice is yours.
And we should probably mention that we used bison here, but you can sub in whatever ground meet you prefer if you’re feeling less adventurous.
- 1lb ground bison
- 1 packet Tres Taco Skillet Sauce
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Jalapeño, diced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 8oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp flour
- Green onions and mini pupas, for serving
- Cook meat using one packet of skillet sauce.
- Add meat, vegetables, beans, spices and broth to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Stir in cheese. Whisk together flour and heavy cream, then stir into soup. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Top with green onions and mini pupusas to serve.
Those two should keep you nice and toasty for a while, but check back for more recipes, cooking tips and other misc. inspiration in the coming weeks.